Web Gems

I like finding interesting things on the internet. I have always admitted that I am a Google junkie; my friends lovingly call me the Google queen. Anytime anyone needs to find information about something, anything, they always come to me and within a few minutes they have what they were looking for. (Google should put me on their payroll. *cough cough* *hint hint*) Here are some cool things I found this week…

*There is a new search engine on the web now called “Leapfish” ( http://www.leapfish.com/ ). I checked it out and it seems pretty interesting. The page is real easy to read and the main page has news, celebrity news, videos, etc.; basically everything that Yahoo or MSN has to offer. When you use the search engine it is actually powered by not only Google, but also Yahoo and Bing. It’s like all the search engines in one convenient place and I like that. It also includes Flickr, Twitter and any other internet sites that pertain to what you are searching for. As for me, I will probably stick with my trusty ol’ Google, but Leapfish will definitely be added to my list of websites I like to use.

*Another site I found this week is Demand Media (http://www.demandmedia.com/ ). If you have a talent for writing and are looking for an excellent opportunity for work, you may want to check out Demand Media. I copied this directly from their website:

Demand Media™ is the leader in distributed social media powering 3 billion conversations every month.

Founded in 2006, Demand Media is led by executives with strong backgrounds in social media and technology. Our management team has extensive experience at globally recognized companies from MySpace to Yahoo!

Through Demand Studios, qualified writers, editors and filmmakers create valuable content and make money. On our media sites, millions of users engage through relevant content and passionate communities. Our products make it possible for thousands of businesses to grow by providing social media solutions that consumers really want.

Demand Media is well-capitalized and strategically positioned for both near and long term success. The company has raised more than $355 million dollars from tier-one investors, including Oak Investment Partners, Spectrum Equity Investors and Goldman Sachs.

For Passionate, Knowledgeable Individuals Demand Studios pays talented writers, filmmakers, editors and topical experts for creating and curating high-quality content for publication on one of the world’s largest and fastest growing online media networks. In joining our community, content contributors can generate income from their passions, from wherever and whenever they want.

Demand Studios makes it possible for qualified writers, editors and filmmakers to create valuable content, reach an audience of millions, and make money.


Sound interesting? Here is a link to the application form on their website:

https://www.demandstudios.com/application.html?role=Writer

*Twitter has become a huge powerhouse of networking, socializing, advertising and latest breaking news (even before the news channels report it). Now Amazon has gone and enlisted the help of their “Amazon associates” to help promote products from Amazon. They sent out an email to their associate members telling them about the latest company program called “Share with Twitter”. Participants are to use Twitter to tweet about products available and provide a link to the Amazon product. Then when someone on clicks the link (and also makes a purchase) the associate will earn referral fees payable through the Associates program. Neat promotional idea for Amazon but I wonder if this will prompt people to promote products, without any regard to whether the product is even worth purchasing, just to make money. I also wonder if, when people start promoting Amazon products, they will be perceived as “spam” on Twitter. Hmm…we will see.

Spam is beginning to be a problem on Twitter. Seasoned Twitterers are becoming suspicious of posts that sound spamish, which usually gets the poster deleted from a follow list and blocked. Sad thing is “spam” will probably be the downfall of Twitter. More and more people are getting tired of the cutsy crap (which is underlying spam) on Facebook. This has caused users to migrate from Facebook to Twitter. I hate to say that unless Twitter takes hold of these spammers, people will find another place to socialize. Then again it is only a matter of time until some new “social networking” site starts up and becomes the new must use website. Until that happens, Twitter on people! (Follow me on Twitter: @ajnyte )

*Now here is a guy with a simple idea at making good money. Jason Sadler came up with a genius idea to make companies pay him to wear their t-shirts. Okay so it’s not quite that simple, but almost. Here is what he told Reuters:

"I walk around, take photos, wear the shirt all day ... I blog about those photos, I put 'em up on Twitter, I change my Facebook profile ... and then I do a Youtube video. I made about $83,000 this year."

What the hell? $83,000! I must be doing something wrong because I wear t-shirts with logos all the time and don’t get paid for it. I also blog, use Twitter and Facebook every day, but yet…still don’t get paid for it. Well, good for you Jason. You found a niche, went with it and even found a way to make good money. If you are interested in Jason’s services or are just curious about how he started this business, here is his website: http://www.iwearyourshirt.com/

Here is a question I would like to ask these companies though…Why didn’t you just have one of your own employees wear the t-shirt and have your IT or advertising people blog, Twitter and Facebook about it instead of hiring an outside source to do so? Seems like promoting from within to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drew Dawson Davis Fan

Web Gems

Short Story: Contentment