Please Buy More Books

"Never be afraid to sit awhile and think." - Lorraine Hansbury

I was lazy this weekend and didn’t post anything new to my blog. Instead, I did my duty for all those in the book industry by going to Barnes & Noble and buying 3 books. One of the many blogs I like to read is called Editorial Ass. Moonie’s take on “C[r]ash Flow (Or What Went wrong in October in Book Publishing)” was an eye opener. If you would like to read her post for yourself, you can check out her blog on editorialass.blogspot.com.

I agree with her suggestion that if each person would go out and buy just one book over the weekend, it would help the publishing industry tremendously. I have my own personal reasons for wanting to strengthen the publishing industry, and they are entirely selfish. I want my book published. There, I said it. With the industry being in a slump, it causes agents to shut the door on new writers because they are a risky investment. Agents hold onto their clients that have previously been successful in selling books, and shy away from the untried author.

The trickle down effect, of all the doom and gloom of the American economy, is that Americans now have a death grip on their wallets. BUT…one book is not too much to ask, is it? One book, that only costs $7.99, is not going to make or break the bank. Better yet, buy a book for Christmas to give to your favorite niece, nephew, mother, father or anyone on your Christmas list. Books are great gifts to give at the office too. If you ask me, co-workers are not easy to buy for during Christmas. It's hard to think of an appropriate gift that is not too personal nor too tacky. This is especially tricky if you have co-workers that are a little difficult to get along with. You don’t want to exclude anyone during the holidays, and a book is always a great gift for anyone, including those you don’t know very well. A book of clever quotes, inspirational phrases or funny jokes is a perfect and simple way to say “Merry Christmas” to someone you know.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't believe you wrote this!!!

It sounds like a newspaper column, incredible... insightful, well thought out, perfectly worded...

I've said it before and I will say it again: you have natural writing ability. I want to be like you when I grow up.

Popular posts from this blog

Drew Dawson Davis Fan

Web Gems

Short Story: Contentment